Top Ten Tuesday: September 29

Readalikes: Ten Books To Read If You Like This Super Popular Book/Author  (There were several options for this one; I went for multiple titles with one or two suggestions per title).

Hmmm. I’m not good at this. I’m usually so far behind with popular books and bestsellers, I don’t know how helpful my suggestions will be. But here goes.

If you liked…

The Da Vinci Code, I would suggest Kate Mosse’s Labyrinth (since it’s part of a loosely-aligned trilogy, also Sepulchre and Citadel). It might be a bit of a cheat, as I think Labyrinth was also a popular book for a while, but it seems to have fallen off the radar rather quickly.

Twilight, I would suggest Meredith Ann Pierce’s Darkangel trilogy. It’s more complex than Twilight, and the heroine feels much more multi-dimensional.

The Hunger Games trilogy, I would suggest the classic manga Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki. Another strong, resourceful, and empathetic heroine dealing with a dystopian/post-apocalyptic future.

The Harry Potter series, I would suggest both Ursula K LeGuin’s Earthsea Cycle, and Diana Wynne Jones’ Chronicles of Chrestomanci series. Both are seminal YA series about young magic users coming into their own and fighting evil forces.

The Fault in Our Stars, I would suggest Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. Probably another cheat, as E&P was no slouch in the popularity department. I won’t deny it has some issues with the portrayal of Park’s mom, but her character is relatively minor, so making a call as to whether she is a racist stereotype or simply not given enough page time to be developed is up to the reader to decide.

Gone Girl, I would suggest She Must Not Leave, by Fay Weldon. I don’t honestly know how it holds up in a post-Gone-Girl world, but the twist really caught me by surprise when I first read it years ago.

The Help, I would suggest The Color Purple by Alice Walker. Mostly because if you really loved The Help, you seriously need to read a book about black people that doesn’t revolve around a white savior.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor, I would suggest an older, lesser known-YA trilogy by Betsy James, The Seeker Chronicles.

Memoirs of a Geisha, I suggest Geisha: A Life by Mineko Iwasaki. I really liked Memoirs (and mostly still do) when I read it years ago, but I read Geisha right afterward, and realized that white dudes are not the best resources for stories about the inner lives of Asian women.

I ran out of steam and couldn’t come up with a tenth one.