Top Ten Tuesday: October 6

Ten Bookish Habits I Want to Quit*

1. We’ll start with a bit of irony: making too many lists. I have a list-making habit that is getting out of hand. TBRs of various kinds, projects, challenges. They are weighing me down, and I never really get through any of them.

2. Taking out too many library books at once, knowing FULL WELL what my capacity is for finishing what I have in 3 weeks. It’s like my brain can’t process that the books will still be there if I don’t check them out right this second.

3. I have this thing called the One Title Problem. It is where I get it into my head that I must own a particular book and will not rest until I have it. And then I don’t read it and it sits on my shelf for months (or years). It happens several times year.

4. Getting swept into a genre (buying, researching, collecting) before fully establishing if I even really like the genre. My current obsession is Steampunk.

5. Like the library thing, I also have Kindle Grab Hands. This book I’m kinda sorta interested in is 1.99 today?? Buy it. Don’t read it. Proceed to do the same thing with hundreds of titles.

6. I worry too much about maintaining the integrity of my son’s books. I’m so freaked out about him destroying them that I don’t let him interact with them on his own terms as much as I think I should. There have been some specific board books sacrificed to his destructive tendencies on purpose, but they are HIS books, after all.

7. Checking reviews before writing my own. It too often results in a refutation or a re-worded recycling, rather than just my own thoughts and my own process.

8. On that same note, I tend to let other people’s opinions sway my own far too often. I’m a firm believer in changing one’s opinions to suit new information (nothing should be set in stone), but I think other people’s reviews influence me too much sometimes, especially in the negative. If I like something, I need to stick to why I like it, not why someone else doesn’t.

9. Starting too many titles at once, and getting absolutely nowhere with any of them. Every time.

10. Being prejudiced against certain writers or genres for crappy reasons. There are legit reasons for avoiding some, but there are others where I think I’ve let my own preconceived notions keep me from trying things I may really like. And I have verified this, since I read my first actual romance novel this weekend (Jennifer Crusie’s Anyone But You), after avoiding the genre for like 15 years. And, surprise, I really liked it.

*This week's Top Ten Tuesday actually has several options. The original instructions for this week from the originators at The Broke and the Bookish:

"Ten Bookish Things I Want to Quit Or Have Quit (aka ten book series I think I'm going to abandon, ten bookish habits I want to quit, ten authors I quit reading, ten types of books I'm quitting, ten tropes I want to stop reading about, ten books I marked as DNF (did not finish) recently, etc. Get as creative as you want)"