Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré I have never cried for imaginary characters the way I cried through this book. I thought it gave excellent closure to a beloved series, and despite some clunky expository passages, was well-structured. I'm so glad I waited in a mile-long line in the wee hours of the morning to get my hands on it. Since it debuted, I've read it multiple times and it still gets to me every time. I've watched the students of Hogwarts grow up and they feel like family. I even liked the Epilogue (from an emotional POV, rather than a critical one).

As you can tell, my reaction to this book is based purely in the heart and not in the head, which is how I have read the series from the very beginning. There are very few books that can prevent me from tearing them apart piece by piece in my head, but HP has done it. They are not masterpieces of prose style, but for once in my adult reading life, I couldn't give a damn. My inner child is perhaps responsible for this, and thank god. Harry Potter keeps that tiny, neglected little thing from withering away in the dusty cupboard under the stairs where adulthood seems determined to stow the incredulous wonder of childhood.