Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger Two American teenagers, a set of eerily colorless mirror twins, inherit the flat of an unknown English aunt, the twin of their mother. Ghosts and family dysfunction collide, resulting in strange plot twists and a disheartening finale.

Initially, I was very drawn into this book; the characters seemed interesting and the dynamics of the various relationships, both familial and romantic, were tantalizing. This lasted until about 2/3 of the way through the book, where I began to lose any sympathy for the characters. Each revelation unearthed the selfish core of them, making them more and more unlikable and making me care less and less what happened to them. I have given this one 3 stars rather than the 2 it probably deserves, in acknowledgment of the fact that it managed to keep me interested enough in the plot to finish it. That, and a stellar Doctor Who reference. This is my second foray into Audrey Niffenegger's work, and right now she's 0 for 2; I wasn't even able to finish The Time Traveler's Wife, though I may try again, just to be sure.

There were two characters, secondary to the main plot, that I did sympathize with and really like: Martin, an obsessive-compulsive neighbor one floor up from the twins' flat, and his wife Marjike, whom he has driven from home with his compulsive behaviors. Martin is essentially brilliant, but too tortured by his inner demons to leave his home. I thought he was well presented and multi-dimensional, despite his secondary character status, and the same goes for Marjike, who is truly torn between leaving the man she loves or being completely stifled by his disease.

From the perspective of an audiobook, I was not impressed. While the narrator was not bad, she gave her American characters obnoxious, whiny voices.