Top Ten Top Tens: Day 7: Best Books to Read for Halloween

(Original Top Ten Tuesday concept from The Broke and the Bookish)

Out of continuity, yet again.

Anyway, today's Top Ten list is Best Books to Read for Halloween. This could be so much longer than 10 books (especially if I started adding all of the Stephen King I read and re-read every year).

The Shining. I think this is my favorite Stephen King, but it’s hard to say for sure.

Pet Sematary. Now that I have a child (a toddler, no less) this book has become about one million times more horrifying.

House of Leaves. I have yet to tackle this one, but this kind of ghost story just feels perfect for Halloween (it’s on my list for this year).

The Graveyard Book. A re-imagining of the Jungle Book, but with ghosts and vampires. Sweet and creepy at the same time.

The Haunting of Hill House. Classic haunted house story.

The Tales of Edgar Allan Poe. He definitely had a way with Gothic atmosphere and madness.

The Thirteenth Tale. It’s not a horror story, but the dark mystery and sort of autumnal vibe makes for great fall reading.

Harvest Home. Another one that has been on my list for a while; it just seems to tick all the right boxes for Halloween reading.

Sharp Teeth. Werewolf epic poetry. You heard me.

"The Yellow Wallpaper." A short story, but a feminist milestone and also genuinely creepy.