Top Ten Top Tens: Day 8: Books I Wish I Could Read Again for the First Time

These lists have taught me something about myself; mostly that I am incredibly boring and predictable. Of the hundreds of books I've read in my life, the same titles pop up again and again and again. So, here is another list incorporating many of the same titles you've seen before! The books I wish I could read again for the first time.

1. Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. The first read blew me away, and while I've enjoyed it multiple times, nothing compares to that first time. And while I like many of her other books, they just can't live up to this one for me.

2. The Harry Potter series. If I like it this much the 10th time around, a do-over first time read would be positively mind blowing.

3. Emma by Jane Austen. Imagine not knowing all the secrets until they are revealed! And getting to hear Miss Bates give everything away while being unable to see any of it because we readers are just as dense as Emma.

4. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Immersive and brilliant.

5. The Long Halloween by Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale. One of the best noir mysteries I've ever read, and my favorite Batman. Maybe others saw it coming, but getting that reveal at the end for the first time...wow!

6. Watchmen by Alan Moore. A formative experience, in comics as well as troubling moral grayness.

7. Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor. The most recently read on this list, the revelations and twists are really so amazing the first time around.

8. His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman. The first book is the best, but the whole world is so brilliantly constructed, and I would follow Lyra anywhere.

9. Daggerspell (and probably the rest of the enormous Deverry series) by Katharine Kerr. All of the knots of causality and reincarnation are almost overwhelming the first time. In a good way.

10. The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice. This is my favorite vampire book. However, since we're messing with time and memory, I would love to read this again for the first time AND return to a time before Rice figured out how to (mis)use the internet.