Question: For those who have read Rat Queens

Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery - Kurtis J. Wiebe, Roc Upchurch

I don't like to be one of those people who looks at someone's review of something (which is a personal, subjective thing) and think "Wow, you are just 100% wrong" (except maybe in the case of some Austen analysis). But I saw a review on GR today (written by a dude, no less) that said the Rat Queens comic--specifically volume 1-- was "misogynistic" and "degrading" and was just the male writers "masturbating." I've read this volume multiple times; hell when I first picked it up, I expected to be disappointed with an all-female cast written by a 30-something male writer. But I think it's great- full of female characters with agency who don't get punished for being sexual, but also don't get treated like constant eye candy. It may have some cheesiness in it, but it felt intentional and made it fun. Did anyone else who read it have any opinions about this? This doesn't just feel like a different opinion; it feels like a deliberate misreading based on what this particular reviewer was already planning to see, with a touch of mansplaining as to what should and should not be considered sexist.

(I do have an issue with the behavior of the artist for the first 5 issues, Roc Upchurch, who is a domestic abuser. But that has nothing to do, in this case, with the content of the work.)