Top Ten Tuesday: March 8, 2016 (but on a Wednesday)

I'm posting this a day late since I mentally checked out yesterday and didn't even realize it was Tuesday. Not like it makes much difference, seeing as I haven't done a regular Top Ten Tuesday post in over a month. But here goes:

~Ten (actually 9) Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get~

(I don’t think a character has to be “likable” to be a great character. There are, however, characters that serve the story as they should and yet prevent any kind of real connection for me as a reader, or they are intended to be sympathetic (at least occasionally) and nuanced but the author just can’t seem to pull it off.)

Holden Caufield/The Glass Family from the works of JD Salinger. They can sniff out phoniness in everyone but themselves.

Philip Pirrip (Pip) from Great Expectations. I just don’t care if everything turns out well for him. I should, but he’s kind of an entitled, unappreciative ass.

Marianne Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility. I don’t hate Marianne, but I spend 90% of the book impatiently waiting for her to get over herself. And I do not agree with critics who say she is more “interesting” than Elinor and is the “real heart” of the novel.

Catherine and Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. I will never understand people who like Cathy Earnshaw. She and Heathcliff deserved each other and their misery. Heathcliff is even worse than Cathy, since he basically tortures children and murders pets on top of being the world’s most vindictive asshole.

Theodore Lawrence (Laurie) from Little Women. No, Jo should not have ended up with Laurie. Anyone who could say he loved Jo and then marry Amy is a bad person.

Hamlet. DUDE IS THE WORST.

James Bond. He is actually a little more nuanced in the books than the films, but still a raging masculinity stereotype that doesn’t hold my interest.

The Cat in the Hat. Let’s face it: he is kind of a jerk.

(Original Top Ten Tuesday concept from The Broke and the Bookish)