Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized) - Steven Cooper,  Kevin  Mahoney This overview of the entire first season of Steven Moffat's Doctor Who overhaul is really excellent, especially for people like me who love to catch all of the tiny details and trivia inherent in such a complex and long-running show. Rather than simply being a compilation of one individual's reviews, the book is a collaborative effort that gives two perspectives for each episode covered. While I like this dual set-up, it's worth noting that there isn't a great deal of differing opinion between them, except for a few minor observations mostly concerning musical arrangement and CGI effects (yes, it's that detailed). However, the analysis is thorough and demonstrates both a profound love for the program, as well as a realistic perception of that same program's weaknesses; it is a very good example of how the things we love are often given the harshest judgment specifically because we adore them so much.

I think Steven Moffat has produced the most magnificent season thus far in the show, and the fact that this segment of episodes has warranted such an in-depth examination is further proof of it's success, in both a commercial and more personal sense. Steven and Kevin, our tour guides through the complex and dynamic structure of the 5th series, bring a wealth of experience from the Classic Series to bear on this new reincarnation, as well as comparisons to the previous seasons under Russel T. Davies (also brilliant, but in a very different way from his successor). Moffat is a more complicated structuralist than Davies, and every tiny detail counts, and our two critics seem to miss nothing. I have watched this season multiple times, back-to-back, and they have produced threads of continuity and tiny glimmering gems of dialogue that I have continually missed. Steven and Kevin also have signature closings for each of their reviews, with Steven providing Classic Series examples to tie to each episode, and Kevin giving us a little nugget of delightful trivia in closing.

Needless to say, I breezed through this book in much the same way that I have watched the episodes: breathlessly and occasionally with my jaw on the floor.

(I suppose the only negative I can give is that the book is e-format only, and is not available in book form.)